Valentine’s DIY Project: A Gift For That Special Someone
Valentine’s is just around the corner and we have the perfect DIY project for this special occasion! Valentine’s day is the day of love, whether that be for your partner or simply a friend. This cross-stitch is a great and personalized way to express to someone that you are thinking about them!
Here are all the materials you will be needing for this project:
- 1 piece of 11 count aida cloth 7”x8” (will vary based on size of design)
- Size 22 tapestry or darning needle
- 12wt Fruitti (100% Egyptian Cotton)
- Colors used in project
- FT 20 - Storm
- FT 10 - Roses
- FT 15 - Carnation
- Pattern: www.cross-stitch-pattern.net
- “Thank You for Being My Friend”
- Embroidery scissors
- 6” Cross-stitch hoop
- The first step is to choose the pattern you would like to cross stitch with your personalized message. We used a free pattern from www.cross-stitch-pattern.net where you can find a variety of different designs for your cross-stitch.
- Next cut out your aida cloth large enough to fit your design and have at least 2 inches of extra cloth outside of the hoop to give your hoop enough fabric to grab .
3. To place the fabric in the hoop, first lay the outer hoop on a flat surface, and lay your aida cloth overtop (please note that the outer hoop screw will have to be loose enough for the inner hoop to fit inside with the aida cloth. Push in the inner hoop loosening screw if necessary. Flip the hoop over and pull the aida cloth to create a tight flat surface, while tightening the outer screw to hold the fabric in place.
4. Pick a central point in your design to start; it is best to work in one color at a time. By using the Fruitti thread it is not necessary to separate strands. This particular design used several colors to create the same effect that the variegated Fruitti does on its own. For this design the heart was worked first leaving squares empty for any letters. A counted cross stitch pattern requires that you pay close attention to the number of squares worked. If you have never done any cross stitching, there are many instructional videos available online.
5. Next the blue portion of the design was worked, leaving only the inner pink letters and the heart border left to work.
6.The completed design, framed, would make a great Valentine’s gift for your special someone!
Happy stitching and happy valentines day!
With Love and Threads,